Ski Tour on Mountain Kazbek (5047m).
Situated in the Eastern Caucasus, Kazbek is one of Georgian’s must do climbs. Graded 2B Kazbek is accessible for most fit climbers and walkers. During the trip along the Military Road you will have the opportunity to view many historical sites of interest: small town Mtkheta - the ancient capital of Georgia (until VI century), Svetithskoveli Church, the 6th century Jvary Church, Ananury Church, Jvary Pass 2395m and the small town Stephantsminda, Sameba Church 2197 m.
Prior to reaching the summit of Kazbek, we will shelter in the Kazbegi Hut, – the old meteorological station (3700 m) built in 1939, now used as a shelter. The building has a fully equipped kitchen for guests’ use (pots, cutlery, kitchen utensils, water bucket and cooker) and a fully stocked shop (beer, wine, water, chocolate, Coca-Cola etc.). In the evenings, there is electricity available for lights and re-charging electrical equipment (mobile phone, laptop etc.)
Itinerary for the ascent of Kazbek Mountain
Day 1 – Meet at the airport and transfer to accommodation to hotel
Day 2 – Tbilisi - Stephantsminda. Meet at 9 am and transfer to Stephantsminda (170 km/ 2.5 hours). Accommodation in hotel
Day 3 - Skitour Stephantsminda (1700m) – Meteorological Station (3650 m). Skitour Approximately 7 hours.
Day 4 - Acclimatisation – Skitour to 4200m during which time we will practice skills necessary to climb to the summit (rope work, ice axe arrest etc.) Approximately 2-3 hours.
Day 5 – Summit. Meteorological Station – Summit - Meteorological Station (9-10 hours skitour). Start at 4-5am and skitour to Plato (4500m) – 4 hours approximately. Plato to Saddle (4900m at 30 degrees). From Saddle to Summit at 40-45 degrees, use of ice axes and fixed ropes. Return to Meteorological Station. Night in Meteorological Station.
Day 6 - Reserve day in case of bad weather.
Day 7 - Ski down to Stepantsminda (2 Hours skiing) and return to hostel / hotel. (Tbilisi)
Day 8 - Transfer to airport
|• Transfer from and to airport
• All transportation over duration of the tour: Tbilisi - Stephantsminda - Church Sameba -Tbilisi
• 2 nights in hotel in Tbilisi
• 1 night in hotel in Stephantsminda (including breakfast, lunch and dinner)
• 4 nights in hostel in Meteorological Station (including breakfast, lunch an dinner)
• English/Russian speaking mountain guide(s) for the duration of expedition
• General equipment (rope, ice pitons etc.)
• Electricity 200 B, 50 Hz
• Access to kitchen and utensils at Meteorological Station
|• Air tickets
• Visa and invitations
• Visa Fees
• Medical expenses and insurance
• Re-booking of hotels
• Single supplements
• Alcoholic drinks
- We can organize any personal variant for the Mt. Kazbek program at group’s request for individual program.
Guides’ equipment include: climbing equipment, GPS navigation, 2 way radio, mobile phone, satellite phone, first aid kit for the mountains)
Weather forecast for Mt. Kazbek
- 3500 Meter (Meteorological Station)
- 4500 Meter (Plato)
- 5047 Meter (Summit Mt. Kazbek)